Driver's Safety Course
Under the laws of the State of Texas, you may request the dismissal of 1 moving traffic violation every 12 months by taking a state approved driver's safety course.
You are eligible to take a Driver's Safety Course for the dismissal of a violation if:
- You have a valid Texas driver's license (CDL holders are ineligible)
- You have current proof of financial responsibility (Texas liability insurance)
- You have not taken a driving safety course within the 12 months preceding the date of your violation
- You have not been ordered to take a driving safety course for another traffic violation within the 12 months preceding the date of your violation
- You request a driving safety course on or before your initial appearance date
Offenses That Do Not Qualify for Dismissal
The following offenses do not qualify for Driving Safety Course dismissal:
- Fleeing police
- Leaving the scene of an accident
- Passing a stopped school bus
- Moving violations within a school zone or a posted construction zone while workers are present
- Speeding 25 miles per hour or more above the posted speed limit
Procedure for Qualification
If you do qualify to make your request, you must:
- Complete the ; you must also have your signature notarized. This can also be found on the courtesy letter provided to you by the officer.
- Submit the Request and Affidavit for Driving Safety Course to the court, either in person or by certified mail, on or before the appearance date shown on your citation. Requests over the phone will not be accepted.
- Submit a $129.00* court cost fee in the form of a money order or cashier's check made payable to the Llano Municipal Court. No personal checks will be accepted and never, under any circumstances, send cash in the mail. This fee does not include the cost of the course or your state issued driving record.
- Provide the court a copy of your Texas driver's license and proof of Texas liability insurance (proof of financial responsibility) valid in your name.
- Provide the court your Type 3A Driving Record ordered from the . This record should be downloaded immediately upon payment. You may call the Texas DPS office in Austin at 512-424-2600 to order your record, but this could take several weeks to receive.
Certificate of Completion
You will have 90 days to complete the course and return the Certificate of Completion to the court. You must sign the court copy of your Certificate of Completion and send it to the court to arrive no later than your due date. Certificates of Completion received after your due date will not be accepted.
Courses are offered at a variety of locations, or on the internet. Only State of Texas approved courses will be accepted by the court. To find a state approved course, please visit the Texas Education Agency website.