Llano is Spanish for "plains," and the double L is pronounced as a Y. However the common pronunciation of Llano by the locals is LAN-OH. The river's north and south forks join near Junction, and from there it flows a hundred miles southeast until draining into the Colorado River.
The City of Llano sits on both sides of the Llano River in the heart of Llano County. The area is part of the 1.5 billion acre Llano Uplift, a geologic phenomenon packed with a variety of mineral deposits that took more than a billion years to form.
Miles and miles of the Llano River are filled with granite boulders and granite-rifted channels, with thicketed islands. However, in the old days during the rainy season, the river could become impassable for weeks at a time.
The Llano Uplift is a rock hound's wonderland. In Llano you can find: amethyst, azurite, dolomites, galena, garnet, quartz, serpentine, traces of gold and Llanite (found no where else in the world). A total of 241 different rocks and minerals are found in the county!
The Fisher-Miller Grant stretches between the Llano River and the Colorado River westward almost to Pecos. A grant of 3,800,000 acres from the Texas Republic was made in 1842. The land was purchased by the German Emigration Company in 1844. First German settlements were made around 1850. The City of Llano was founded on the Llano River in 1855. The County of Llano was formed in 1856 and Llano named the county seat. The Llano River courses centrally through the county. Llano remained on the edge of the frontier until 1875. In those early 1800's many settlements were made along the Llano River, and today the many historical markers mark the sites of the settler's endeavors.